Monday, December 6, 2010

Assignment #6 - Lights

Ciao ragazzi!

For this assignment, we were to light a textured object and render at least 3 images. I definitely wanted to play around creatively with light so I decided to replicate a stained glass window. Here's my reference image that I found on the internet:



Basically, I created a separate planar surface for each stained glass panel using the curves tool. Once I did that, I converted the panels to polygons and extruded the faces to make thick slabs. Then using a combination of different glass tutorials that I found online and on youtube, I made a glass texture for the panels using a variation on the blinn material. Once those settings were turned into a preset, I just continued to apply new blinn materials (with the glass preset and a color stained glass texture from the internet) to each panel with a varying color. Confused? Yeah, it's kinda hard to explain. Just look at the pictures:





What I really wanted to happen was have the light pass through the glass and create a colored shadow onto a surface behind it. But I honestly could not figure out what to do. The glass distort what's behind it, but for some reason the lights wont pass through.

So instead, I used the lights to add a reflection onto another surface; the outliners. Here are some example renders:




Kinda cool. I need to figure out something else to do with this. It took far too much work creating all those panels for it to yeild such "bleh" results....oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment