Thursday, December 2, 2010

Assignment #4 - Model (References)

Ciao, ragazzi!

Devo practicare piu italiano perché é una possibilita che io debba usarla nel futuro!

For this assignment, we were to create a model in Maya using reference material. I kinda decided to go all out on this so I chose to base my model off of the castle in Disney's Beauty and the Beast. Here are some screen captures of the castle from the film:






During my search for reference material, I actually stumbled upon some great semi-orthoganal views of the castle. One in particular stood out (I think it's from a coloring book):



Great stuff! With this view of the castle, it made it very easy to start modeling from it in Maya. The only problem? The castle was a little too complicated. All the shapes that make up the building are fairly simple, but from this frontal viewpoint, all of them appear to be stacked on top of each other. This made it very hard to clearly visualize what each of the pieces looked like, let alone where they are placed in the 3D space.

I struggled with this for a little while and realized I needed more broken down references, starting with the simples parts and building the castle from there. So I did a little photoshop engineering. :) First, I used the warp transformation tool to even out the sides. Then, I removed the majority of the detail and flair on the castle (statues, windows, etc.) and started to mask out the different sections (using the clone stamp tool to make any extensions where necessary). Here are some examples of the pieces and then the finished edited reference:







Pretty cool, huh? Well, I thought so at least. :) It helped SO much with getting started modeling. Only having to worry about the basic shapes one at a time has really got me going along. Check out the next post for my final model!

No comments:

Post a Comment